Smoked Salmon Wreath
This quick and easy festive no-cook salmon wreath makes a perfect starter and is ready in only 30 minutes.
• 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, core removed
• 3 limes
• 2 green shallots, trimmed
• 3 large ripe avocados
• 250g baby cucumbers, peeled into ribbons
• 200g (1 bunch) radishes, trimmed, washed, thinly sliced
• 400g sliced smoked salmon
• Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
• Crème fraîche, to serve
• Salmon roe, to serve
• Fresh dill sprigs, to serve
• Micro herbs, to serve
• Gluten-free crackers or crusty bread, to serve (optional)
• Step 1
Use a mandoline to very thinly slice the fennel lengthways. Place in a large bowl with the juice of 1 lime. Add a large pinch of salt, toss to combine and set aside to pickle.
• Step 2
Cut shallots into 8cm lengths and thinly slice lengthways. Place in a bowl of iced water for 2-3 minutes or until lightly curled. Drain well. Roughly mash the avocados in a bowl. Add the juice from the remaining limes, season and stir to combine.
• Step 3
Drain fennel. Arrange avocado in a heaped circle around the edge of a large plate. Arrange pickled fennel, cucumber, radish, shallot and salmon over the top. Drizzle with oil and season with pepper. Dollop on crème fraîche and salmon roe. Scatter with the dill and micro herbs. Serve immediately with crackers or bread, if you like.